Sunday, June 20, 2021

3 Day Mermaid Hop ~ Mixed Media Cards ~ Unity Stamp Co.


 Hello there crafty friend!
I'm back for the last day of the 3 Day Mermaid Hop and today I'm sharing not just one card, but two Mixed Media cards!! I'm on a mission to use those must have crafty items in my stash that have just been collecting dust and the beautiful 12 x 12 Mermaid Dreams stencil by The Crafters Workshop was definitely a must have and it was also really dusty. LOL! I paired it up with a couple of new dies that just released over at Unity Stamp Co. These new dies are awesome... and cut like a dream!! I also played with some neglected Distress Oxide Sprays and Glacier Paste to create my background!! 
So Fun!!


I started with a large 5-3/4 x 8-1/2" piece of Canson XL watercolor paper. No particular reason for this size, it was just a piece I had left over from another project and it was big enough to fit the mermaid's tail. I sprayed it with water and then spritzed some Antique Linen, Peacock Feathers, Mermaid Lagoon, and Walnut Stain Distress Oxide Sprays. I also splattered some Walnut Stain and Mermaid Lagoon Distress Oxide Sprays all over the background. I did this by opening the bottle and tapping the top of the bottle over the whole panel.


I then laid the Mermaid Dreams stencil over the dried background and applied some Sea Sprite Glacier Paste from Nuvo over the stencil. I let it dry over night and then applied some more of the glacier paste giving the mermaid tail more dimension. I let it dry again over night. I die cut the Here's a Hug {die} three times from Kraft card stock and then adhered them all together using Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue. When adhering dies cuts together I like to use tiny dots of glue all along the die. I've found it to be the best way to not get too messy. For this first card, I cut the background down to 4 x 5-1/4" and mat it on a Kraft card front measuring 4-1/4 x 5-1/2" and then I adhered it to a Kraft A2 top fold card base. I adhered the background to the card front first to make it a bit more flat and sturdy.


Now for the second card, I also cut the background to 4 x 5-1/4" but before I adhered it to a Kraft card front I wanted to add some Sand embossing powder to the corners. I used a VersaMarker which is just a watermark pen and scribbled around the corners so the embossing powder would look kind of like sand laying on the card. I added the Hero Arts Sand embossing powder to the areas that I scribbled with the VersaMarker and then melted the embossing powder with my Mini Wagner heat tool. For the bottom left corner I wanted the embossing powder to have some real texture so I scribbled over it again with the VersaMarker and added more Sand embossing powder. And then I did it a third time.


I recently ordered some fun embellishments from Twiddler's Nook and I was excited to use the Glass Beach Embellishment mix on this card. I added some Ranger Multi Medium Matte along the edge of the Sand embossing powder and than added some of the Glass Beach Embellishment mix. I especially love the beautiful pearls in the mix! The colors were perfect for this project! All that was left was the sentiment... I chose the 'hello' die from the Chic Script Salutations {die set} - a fabulous set of dies also from Unity Stamp Co.!!


 I die cut the 'hello' shadow from Vellum card stock and then die cut the 'hello' die three times from Kraft card stock. I adhered all of those 'hello' dies together with Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue and then dabbed it on my VersaMark Watermark ink pad. Then I added some of the Sand embossing powder and melted it with my heat tool. I did that a total of three times to really give it dimension. It is so cool in person!!

Be sure to check out the hashtag #mermaidsarereal to see all the other fabulous mermaid creations being shared in the hashtag hop! Some of the stops on the hop are having giveaways!

Before you go... let me know in the comments what's your favorite product to use on mermaid cards? I think other than stamps, my favorite is stencils... they make for quick backgrounds and work well for mixed media projects, too. I'll be picking one lucky winner from the comments during the 3 Day Mermaid Hop that will win a Mer-Mazing Prize Package!* I'll announce the winner of my giveaway on Tuesday, June 22nd.



Thanks so much for stopping by!
See ya next time.

Inky Hugs,
Crystal


{Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.}


*If an International prize winner is chosen, I will send an alternate prize... a gift card to Unity!

4 comments:

  1. Stencils for sure are a favorite for mermaid and ocean cards! Love that one with the tail! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards! I love the colors and textures! The embellishments you used on your second card are very pretty, and I am loving the Unity sentiment dies! Gotta check those out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to answer your question! I love adding some sparkly embellishments to mermaid cards! Sequins are my go-to!

      Delete
  3. Amazing cards- both. I would also say stencils but drops and or gems- some kind of sparkle- would be good too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.