Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Snowy Hill Background with Distress Oxide

Hello! I wanted to share a Christmas card that I made and hadn't had a chance to share yet. I made a similar card for a challenge in the Unity Show & Tell facebook group, but I had made this one first.


I die cut a scrap piece of Whisper White card stock from Stampin' Up! so that I could use it for a stencil, of sorts, to make my hills using the negative side (side without the stitches) of the Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside Border die. It's a thinner card stock so it was perfect to use as my stencil. I then grabbed a Stampers Select White card stock card base and blended distress oxide inks alternating between Worn LipstickBroken China, and Wilted Violet. I didn't mask anything... I was just super careful to leave some white between the layers. I started from the top of the card and worked my way down. Once I got my inks blended to my liking, I splattered some water onto the card and let the distress oxide ink do its magic. I dabbed it a bit with some paper towel. 


I then put it in my little splatter box... what's that? It's a little cardboard box that I have with some paper towels in the bottom. I use it to do my splattering and it really keeps the mess contained. Anywho, I dropped my card in the splatter box and grabbed my white acrylic paint. I put a tiny drop on my palette and spritzed it with some water to make it a bit runny. I grabbed my little paint brush and splattered away. I set it aside to dry and started die cutting snowflakes. These snowflakes are from the My Favorite Things Snowflake Splendor card kit... I just adore them!!! There are so many different combinations that you can do with these. I had a blast making mine!! 
I added some glittery goodness to some of my snowflakes using Fun Stampers Journey Sparkle Silk. I layered a bunch of different snowflakes but decided just to use one on this card. I die cut the Joy from a Wplus9 die set called Seasonal Sentiments die. I used the tiny circle die from the Layered Snowflakes Die-namics set to cut out the center of the 'O' on the Joy. Once I had those cut, I set them all aside and decided to splatter the card some more with the Sparkle silk. 


 OMG! It's so sparkly and pretty! I wish it showed up better on the picture. I adhered my Joy die cut and snowflake to the card. My final touch was a Pretty Pink Posh sequin in Ballerina Pink. In the picture, the sequin looks like a light blue color, but it's a pink sequin. Crazy, right?! Love it!


This is the other card that I made using the same background technique. I stamped the {Planner Gal} Cold Outside image directly on my white card base and then I stamped her again on a post it note and fussy cut her out. I masked the image and blended my hills using the same technique I mentioned above. I pulled off my mask and colored in the image using copic markers. I stamped the sentiment on white card stock and die cut it out using the dies from the MFT Snowflake Splendor card kit. I sponged a bit of the Wilted Violet distress oxide ink around the edges of the snowflake and then adhered it to the card. My final touch was a few sequins here and there.

This is such a fun technique and I bet you could use it for other occasions by just changing up the color combos. I may just have to try that myself!


Thanks for stopping by!

See ya next time.
~ Crystal

4 comments:

  1. Love this and will be doing it! This was one of my resolutions to find more ways to use my Ixides! TY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you share if you make a similar card, I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  2. I love everything about this! The colours are so pretty & that inking technique is amazing! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.