Thursday, November 17, 2016

Unity Black & White Christmas challenge

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to post to the blog so I thought I'd take a minute (or two days!!) and share my entries for the Black & White Christmas challenge over at the 
Unity {Show & Tell} FB group. 




This is my first entry. I stamped & heat embossed the background using different snowflakes from the Snowflake Kisses set on True Black card stock from Papertrey Ink. I stamped & heat embossed the sentiment from the Joy Girl kit on vellum card stock. I tore the vellum and attached it to the card using adhesive behind the black snowflake panel. I wrapped some black twine around the panel a few times and made a bow and then popped up the whole thing with stampin' dimensionals and adhered it to a white card base.




My second entry was a bit more work... I started with the ornament stamp from the October Kit of the Month from Unity. I stamped it twice on white card stock using Memento tuxedo black ink. I colored in the ornament using a black Wink of Stella pen. Then I colored in the dots using Nuvo Crystal Drops in Gloss White to give it some dimension and shine. But then the rest of the ornament wasn't shiny so I added some Journey glaze to the lines and the hanger. It was just the right touch. I fussy cut out the ornaments and got ready to adhere the black thread when I realized the ornaments aren't symmetrical when back to back... hmmm. I decided to still go with the plan and just trimmed the second ornament so it didn't stick out. Worked for me! 




After all that, I had to cut out the circle in the card base and the layer of vellum. Then I decided it needed something around the circle so I cut out some true black card stock using two dies to cut out the 'frame'. The front still seemed plain so I cut out the scalloped frame for the outer edge. The shine on the ornament naturally led me to add more shine to the whole card so I pulled out my clear Wink of Stella and colored the circle frame and the scalloped rectangle frame and gave them some glittery goodness! I attached the circle frame just using some liquid glue but the rectangle frame I popped up on the card using stampin' dimensionals. Now the sentiment was easy... I stamped it in Memento tuxedo black ink and added a little glitter to the heart with the clear Wink of Stella and then cut it all out using Everyday Sentiment Banners die from Lawn Fawn. I also cut out a strip of black card stock using the same die. I layered those pieces and popped them up using the stampin' dimensionals tucking the end under the rectangle frame. I had originally decided at this point that I was done, but when I took a picture of the card like this it was just too white behind the ornament. I went back to my stash of Wonderland Vellum and pulled out the piece with the trees... thought it worked with the branches on the top layer. I cut out that piece with a scalloped circle die and ran it through my Xyron sticker maker and adhered it to the inside of the card.




Here's another look at the card.

This was definitely a challenge not adding any color to these black and white Christmas cards, but I think they turned out pretty nice!

Here are the products I used for the snowflake card:
Stamps: Snowflake Kisses, Joy Girl (Unity)
Card Stock: White, True Black (PTI), Vellum (SU!)
Inks: Versamark (SU!)
Adhesives: Stampin' DimensionalsFast Fuse (SU!)
Tools: Heat tool

Here are the products I used for the ornament card:
Stamps: Holiday Hugs Oct.KOM, Owl Warmhearted (Unity)
Card Stock: WhiteTrue Black (PTI), Winter Wonderland Vellum (retired SU!)
Tools: Everyday Sentiment Banners (LF), Scalloped Stitched Rectangle Frame (GMD), Spellbinders Standard Circles Large, Spellbinders Classic Scalloped Circles Large
Miscellaneous: Xyron sticker maker, white organdy ribbon

Thanks for stopping by!

See ya next time.
~ Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.