Thursday, December 5, 2019

Polka Dot Orchard ~ Beary Best Friend ~ Technique Thursday

Hello there crafty friends!
Today, I'm sharing a fun and easy technique for Technique Thursday with Polka Dot Orchard... a little ink blending with some splatter! Let's get to it, shall we?!


I'm starting with a piece of Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor card stock. You can ink blend on any card stock really. I chose this card stock because I know I'll be doing a some water splatter and it works better on this card stock. I lined up my piece of card stock on my Glass Media Mat so that I can get a straight line for my horizon using the purple tape.


Once I had the tape on, I could pull up the card stock and position it at an angle... I have found this position to be most comfortable for me when ink blending. 


I thought this would be a great time to share my foam storage for my blending tools. I can't take credit for this idea... a crafty friend shared this idea with me. Some dvd style stamp cases, a few labels and velcro circles... I love it!! And I keep it on my shelf right next to my desk... super handy!!


I decided on Tumbled Glass, Wilted Violet, and Faded Jeans Distress Oxide inks to blend for my night sky background. There are so many awesome combos for night sky ink blends though.


I started by ink blending the Tumbled Glass along the tape line. I went up about an inch... maybe an inch and a quarter. And then I ink blended some of the Wilted Violet. I started blending it just above the Tumbled Glass and worked my way up and then down over the Tumbled Glass. I typically go over my blends at least three times to get a good blend. 


I went back in with the Tumbled Glass over the Wilted Violet just to lighten the harsh line between the colors.


And then I blended the Faded Jeans on the top and worked my way down into the Wilted Violet.


I went back in with the Wilted Violet over the Faded Jeans and the Tumbled Glass until I was happy with the blends. In this picture the colors look much lighter than they are in real life, but it shows the blends so nicely.


It is so cool to pull the tape off and see that stark white strip underneath. Be careful when pulling the tape up though... move in one direction and pull slowly. On a clean piece of card stock like this there shouldn't be an issue pulling it up but when you put purple tape on card stock with Distress Oxide inks blended in, you'll want to be sure that the ink is dry and then still be very careful pulling up the tape. I share this from experience. I didn't want quite this much white space so I re-positioned the tape and ink blended some more of the Tumbled Glass ink. I kept it a bit lighter and I like the line it created... like the horizon in the distance.


Time for some water splatter!! I have a tiny spray bottle on my desk and for this technique I squirt some water right into the palm of my hand... probably four squirts. I rubbed my hands together just slightly and then clapped over my panel.


If you use more water you are more likely to get bigger droplets on your panel. It also depends on how close your hands are to the panel. I wanted mostly tiny droplets so I only did a little bit of water and kept my hands higher up from the panel.


Let the water do it's magic for a few seconds while you grab a paper towel. I usually fold the paper towel in half and lay it on top and press gently with my hands.


I love the subtle splatter that water gives to the ink blended backgrounds, but white acrylic paint is one of my favorite ways to add a snowy white splatter. I added a tiny drop of Apple Barrel White acrylic paint to my well loved palette.


I added a few squirts of water to the paint. Watering down the paint helps to thin out the paint so you can get those tiny splatters like snow on your projects.


I mixed it all up with my cheap watercolor brush that I took from my kids watercolors. Shhh... don't tell them I have it! lol


And then grabbed my splatter box... an old box that I've lined with paper towels in the bottom. 


I then just tap my paint brush with my index finger over the panel and get all kinds of fun splatter. You can play with this technique too... getting your brush really wet or holding your hand closer to the panel can also get you bigger droplets. A less wet brush or your hand placement further from the panel will get you tiny droplets. It's lots of fun to play around and see what kinds of splatter you can create! One of my favorite techniques!


I had combined and resized these digi images from the Beary Best Friend digi set by Polka Dot Orchard to fit on an A2 card base for another projects, but decided to use them for this one instead.


I colored the image with the following Copic markers:
Bear ~ N0, N1, R00, R14, R20, R29, R83, C00, C1, Colorless Blender
Fox ~ R00, R20, R83, E0000, E00, E95, E99, B000, B00, B02
Bird ~ N0, N1, N2, N4, R00, R20, R83, YG11, YG13, C00, C1, Colorless Blender
Holly ~ G000, G24, G46, R00, R14, R29
Present ~ R00, R14, R29, Y06, Y11, Y15



I fussy cut the colored image and trimmed down the sentiment. I'm thinking I like this placement for my image and sentiment, but it needs something!


And the finished card! I decided to trim the panel down to 5-3/8 x 4-1/8" and adhere it directly on the A2 white card base. I also mat the sentiment with a slightly larger white mat. I popped up the image and the sentiment with foam tape... I love the extra dimension it gives to the card!


A close up of the card... love how this sweet card turned out!! I hope that you've enjoyed my first Technique Thursday post for Polka Dot Orchard... I had a blast!! I hope that I've inspired you to try out ink blending and splattering! If you have any suggestions for techniques that you'd like to see, comment and let me know... maybe your suggestion will be featured next time!


Thanks so much for stopping by!
See ya next time.

Inky Hugs,
Crystal

6 comments:

  1. A great tutorial Crystal - I love the result

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sky is just gorgeous paired with this sweet image! Thanks for sharing this inspiration with these fun products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.