Saturday, February 1, 2020

Scrapping for Less ~ Valentine's Color Challenge ~ Winter Fairies

Hello there crafty friends!
Today I'm sharing a new challenge over at the Scrapping for Less: Show & Share group on Facebook and I have found a lovely combination of colors for a Valentine's Color Challenge.

Photo credit: The Color Catalog By SRC on Instagram

We have a couple of pinks, along with white, red, and even a reddish brown. I think these colors work perfectly for a Valentine's Color Challenge! I hope you do too and that you can find some time to play along with us in the Scrapping for Less: Show & Share group on Facebook.


So... I thought it would be fun to use the Winter Fairies stamp set for a Valentine's card... kind of show how versatile this set can be!! It doesn't have to be just for a wintry card or Christmas card... the sweet fairies combined with some Valentine's colors, stenciled hearts, and a perfect sentiment - BAM! I have a sweet Valentine's card ready for my stash!


To start, I stamped the fairy with Memento Tuxedo black ink onto white card stock and colored her in with the following copic markers:
Skin ~ E000, E00, E21
Hair ~ E55, E57, E59
Eyes ~ B000, B00
Clothes ~ RV0000, RV06, RV10, RV14, RV63, C00, C3, E57

I then fussy cut her out (cutting off the star at the top of her wand) and cleaned up the edges with a Memento Tuxedo black marker. I set the fairy aside and grabbed a piece of Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor paper. I ink smooshed some Worn Lipstick and Picked Raspberry Distress Oxide inks. I used my Heat Tool to dry the panel and then applied some Scarlet Glitter Glaze from Brutus Monroe with a spatula over the Tim Holtz Hearts Mini Layering Stencil Set #6. I also applied some of the same glaze over the stencil onto a scrap piece of white card stock. I set it aside to dry.


While that was drying, I realized that I had forgotten about the brown in the color combination... oops! I mean, sure there's a bit in her hair, but I wanted it in the background too so once the glitter glaze was dry I smooshed some Vintage Photo Distress Oxide inks on the panel. I also used my water pen to move the ink around a bit since the raised glittery hearts seemed to resist the ink. I'll be honest... at this point, I tossed the panel in the trash. I did not like how it turned out. So I made another one... and somehow that one was worse!! Lol... I pulled the first panel out of the trash and gave it another look and decided it wasn't terrible. I left both panels on my desk and called it a day... the next morning, I decided to go with the first panel. Fresh eyes can give you that new perspective on your creations!! I actually like the extra dimension the brown ink smooshes give to the card!


I trimmed down my panel to 3-7/8 x 5-1/8" and adhered it to a Real Red mat measuring 4 x 5-1/4". I then adhered that to a Passionate Pink card front measuring 4-1/4 x 5-1/2" and adhered the entire card front to a white card base. I popped up the fairy using foam squares and then popped up the fussy cut glitter glazed heart that I had created on the scrap piece of white card stock to take the place of the star on the fairies wand. To finish off the card, I stamped the Happy Valentine's Day sentiment from the Sentiments of the Heart stamp set that was included in the Banana Split subscription of the December 2019 Sending Love card kit with VersaMark watermark ink and heat embossed an ultra fine white embossing powder. I die cut the sentiment with my go-to banners die and popped it up on the card. I'm so happy with how this card turned out! I hope you like it too!

Now, the key to playing along is being a member of the Scrapping for Less: Show & Share Facebook group so if you aren't already a member ---> join here!! Also, please note that you don't need a blog to enter the challenge as you're adding a photo of your creation directly in the Challenge album in the group. You are welcome to include a link to your blog in the description of your creation if you'd like.

This challenge will run from today, February 1st, and will end February 29th at 11:59pm EST.  The winner will be announced on Sunday, March 1st in the challenge album. Please use #sflcolorchallenge3 in any social media posts when playing along with the challenge.

Lots of time to play along... thanks to this being a Leap Year, there's even an extra day!! And you can use your December 2019 Sending Love card kit to play along with this challenge... woohoo!! I can't wait to see what you create!


Thanks so much for stopping by! 
See ya next time.

Inky Hugs,
Crystal


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.