Saturday, February 2, 2019

~ Friends of Unity February Blog Hop ~

Hello!! I'm so excited to share my cards for our Friends of Unity blog hop this month! The cue this month is Friendship... I am very blessed with many friends! I'm also blessed to do this hop with a bunch of my crafty friends!! I had no idea when Amber and I came up with this wonderful hop that these amazingly creative and artistic women would become such dear friends to me. A bonus also is the fantastic group of crafty friends that follow us and support us so I just want to (again) say thank you to all of you fabulous peeps!


It's been a while since I did some mixed media art for a card... or at least it feels like it's been awhile so I just had to get inky with my oxides for this one!!


I trimmed a piece of Ranger Mixed Media cardstock down to a cardfront panel measuring 5-1/2 x 4-1/4". I painted on some clear gesso to prepare the paper, but I honestly don't know if that step was necessary since this paper is made for mixed media art. I just did it out of habit. I also painted an extra large tag from Unity that was in my stash with the same clear gesso. I dried both pieces with my Ranger heat tool. I then blended Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick, and Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide inks on the piece of card stock I had prepared. I then sprayed the paper with water to let the colors move around and blend. I dried the paper with my Ranger heat tool and then grabbed my stamps. I decided to use Unity's Better with Friends stamp set by Jolande and Marleen. I love the mix of stamps in this fabulous set! Perfect for the card I wanted to create! I stamped the script background with Spiced Marmalade oxide ink. I then stamped the splatter with Worn Lipstick oxide ink in a few different places on the paper. I spritzed some water into the palm of my hand and clapped over the card front... a fun way to add splatter to your creations! I then dabbed the splatter dry with a paper towel and set the card front aside.


I stamped the flowers on the extra large tag with VersaMark watermark ink and heat embossed a fine black embossing powder. I dabbed the Spiced Marmalade and Worn Lipstick Distress Oxide inks on my glass mat and used the inks to watercolor the flowers. They seemed to get 'lost' in the background of the card front so I decided to add some Abandoned Coral Distress Oxide ink. I fussy cut the flowers and set them aside. I wanted to add some more black to the card front so I added this beautiful die cut from the Tim Holtz Mixed Media Thinlet die set that I trimmed and adhered to the card front. I then stamped the sentiment with VersaMark watermark ink and heat embossed a fine black embossing powder. I got to thinking... this needs more splatter so I grabbed my black acrylic paint, watered it down a little bit and splattered away. The top right corner needed a little something so I was looking around my studio and saw my very neglected Stampin' Up! Spiral Border punch. Perfect! All that was left was adhering the flowers... I got distracted by one of the kids while adhering this and it ended up more to the left of the card then I wanted but it was stuck. 
Oh, well... I still love it!


My second card has a pretty simple design to it... I stamped the gorgeous flowers using VersaMark watermark ink on Canson XL watercolor paper and then heat embossed a fine black embossing powder. I then watercolored the flowers using some new watercolor markers that I recently purchased that were recommended by a crafty friend. They're called Staedtler Marsgraphic Duo Double-ended watercolor brush markers.... quite a name, huh?! But I have to say, I loved watercoloring with them. I didn't color direct to the paper. I scribbled the watercolor markers on my acrylic block and then used my watercolor pen to lift the color and paint. I sometimes use this technique with my ZIGs so I wondered how these markers would do and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Next time, I think I'll color direct to the paper and see how they work.


So... want to hear a funny crafty story?! I got done watercoloring these flowers and had the crazy idea to add my nuvo crystal drops right away... well, I realized after my first couple of drops that I hadn't trimmed my panel. I had planned to die cut it with a stitched die or some kind of rectangle die... LOL! Nope, couldn't do that now! So, I carefully trimmed it with my cutter (the following day so the drops were completely dry) and ended up matting it on black and popping it up on a stitched scallop die cut piece of a fun new paper I found at Hobby Lobby by The Paper Studio called Stargazer. Oh my goodness... this paper is so beautiful! I saw it while I was trying to avoid buying paper and I just had to bring it home. My crafty friend, Dawn, can tell you it's true! Right, Dawn?! She was there with me listening to me say, "No more paper. No more paper." And then I saw it and my chant ended and the paper was mine forever and ever! LOL! Anywho, back to the card... I adhered the whole panel on a True Black card base. Since I had the True Black card stock out, I decided to stamp the sentiment on a scrap and heat emboss a fine white embossing powder. I trimmed it up by hand and adhered it to the card. Done!

So my color challenge last month was a bit of a flop. Or possibly, I've misunderstood the power of a hashtag... LOL... since I haven't seen many projects using the hashtag. But I want to say a big thank you to my sweet blog hopping friends that played along!! I so appreciate you all!

Now for a little bit of business... this is actually business for Jeanie's giveaway from last month. She wasn't able to hop this month so she asked me to share her winner. 
And the winner of a random itty bitty stamp is... 


Wow this card is awesome. I love the gold and the festivity and energy I feel when I look at it!


lrkmt, please contact Jeanie at jeaniehays00@yahoo.com or via Facebook messaging.


Speaking of giveaways... I hear there are a few along our hop! Be sure to hop and comment on our blogs so you can be entered to win a prize!


Now, I think it's about time to start hopping...

~ Blog Hop List ~

Crystal <--- you're here

up next ---> Dawn







Thank you friends for checking out my blog post!
See ya next time.

Inky Hugs,
Crystal




49 comments:

  1. Wow! Both cards are beautiful! I especially love the colorful background on the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dawn! I love how that background turned out, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Love that first card!!! Both cards are great! I'm thinking I need to do some of that in my room..... just for fun!!! I taught some friends how to do the backgrounds, and they loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card so much. The font is so cool paired with the beautiful flower and splotch marks are awesome. The background color combination is so perfect too. I love your story about your second card, thanks for sharing! I love the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mixed media piece is great but I am really digging the flower stuffed cone. Such amazing colors. It all really pops! Amazing! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! You ROCKED that mixed media card, girl!! Gorgeous!!
    When I saw the stamp you used on the second card, I thought, mehh, not "me" ...this card has made me LOVE that stamp!! Thanks for inspiring me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Beautiful cards... I'm especially interested in getting started in mixed media, so am really drawn to that one. Thanks for the inspiration and your great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you fussy cut the flower stems on your mixed media piece. Oxides are so fun and I learn something new every time I get them out. I love your layering on your second card. So cool! Thanks for sharing your lovely cards Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous cards Crystal, I love how you give such detailed 'how-to's'

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG...you outdid yourself this month! Love, love, love the mixed media card...just truly beautiful! And the 2nd card...wow! I am so loving this hop, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we're all guilty of the 'no more paper' story.! lol I have a hard time at Tuesday Morning with their $3 BoBunny pads. Oh well. Your cards are just gorgeous. I love a mixed media, grunge card, and you do it very well! Very pretty floral card with lovely coloring as always. tfs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, YES! I went to a Tuesday Morning for the first time in November and went nuts with all the paper on sale!! One of the reasons I'm having to say no more paper now. LOL Thank you for your kind words, Becca!

      Delete
  11. Both of your cards are so beautiful!!! Love the first one, might have to CASE it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandra! I hope you share if you do CASE it! :)

      Delete
  12. Love the mixed media piece. I have the Jolande stamp set and would love to try a similar piece

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love your mixed media card! All the elements work so well together. Your second card is lovely too - especially that Stargazer paper that I totally would've also had to buy!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Crystal. I love the abstract and colors of your first card and I like out you made the cone color of the second card blend in with the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Both cards are stunning Crystal. I love the mixed media look, love that background and the colors you chose. And those flowers are amazing. And I LOVE anything by Graciellie, she's just amazing. And your cards is beautiful. I love your coloring and design. And there are always happy little surprises in crafting, whether we make them ourselves or our kids are around. Thanks for including me in your group. You all have been so kind and supportive and its been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these cards but the first one is my favorite. Thanks for the tip on the clear gesso, guess that gives me a reason to go back to the Lob. I have trouble using the paint pens so I think I will try the acrylic block method.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mixed media piece is amazing. You give me inspiration to venture into that arena one day. I like your card too...and your story about the Nuvo drops. It's always a bit reassuring when you know that other people have hiccups too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cards Crystal!!! I love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cards are beautiful, as they always are. I love the mixed media card. I struggle with getting a good look with distress oxides. And you can't go wrong with Jolande's stamps!
    --Phaline Mays

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work I really like the first card!

    ReplyDelete
  21. GORGEOUS Cards! Your cards are always so beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of your cards are beautiful in their own unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crystal your cards are beautiful as always...but I really like the mixed media one. The colors and textures in it are great! Always love seeing what you ladies pull off each month.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love it if I could make a mixed media card like your first one. It is absolutely perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your cards! The mixed media and watercoloring are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoy Unity Stamps. I like how vibrant the colors aa are on the second card

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cards are beautiful! I really love the first one and the mixed media style! Enjoyed your paper story.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your first card is such a cool style and I totally love the gorgeous flower bouquet card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am loving these splashes of color on a cold winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful cards! Artsy and lovely - simply beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful cards!!! Great colouring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the heat embossing and ink blending on your card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Please note that comment moderation is ON. Your comment will appear shortly.